Friday, January 12, 2007

one good read



This is the book we did for book club last night. I LOVE this book. That was my 2nd time reading it and of course as I'm the one who picks the books I do have a certain advantage. Which I try not to abuse ;)

Most of us at the club loved the book, but there were a few who just didn't 'get it'. The discussion helped some, but not all. I just think it's so clever, the language, storytelling (story within story within story) and it all fits together. Plus it's hilariously funny. At least I thought so!

However I've been fighting a cold all week and last night just burned me out so today I'm at home. Although apparently it may snow tomorrow so I might have to bundle up and head over the bridge to my favourite scrapbook store for a little shopping therapy this afternoon.

4 comments:

Kelli said...

I might have to check this one out for my friend and I. We buy each other books, the same books so we can have our own mini book club.

Dawn said...

Hmmmm... I'm intrigued and afraid at the same time. I only read books recommended to me... but what if I'm one of the people who "don't get it"....

Would it be a good beach read?

Does the library have it?

Info Goddess said...

Dawn yes the library has it. Thomas King is native, the book is about natives, includes native mythology, some poking fun of Christianity & western civilization. If you ever have listened to the Dead Dog Cafe on CBC you'll be familiar with the 'idea'. Beach read? Well it would probably only take you a day or 2 to read, it's not very long (or challenging either). but funny!

Anonymous said...

Dawn, you could always just smile and nod. That works for me a lot of the time.

Thanks for the recommendation, Fern, I'm just about finished the book I'm reading right now!