Saturday, January 06, 2007

Old Friends

This is me and Ruth, my oldest friend in the world. (It's a standing joke between us) We've known each other since Grade 7, when I was the 'new girl' at Dixon Elementary. She now lives in Australia, where she's been since I don't remember when, Expo '86 some time I think. Luckily for me, when her parents retired they moved to the Okanagan so when Ruth and her family come to visit, it's not hard for us to see each other. This only happens every couple of years or so. But this year - bloody winter! They're only in Summerland but you'd think it was still Australia with all the difficulty we've had getting together...so near and yet so far.

My phobia about winter driving, and lack of snow tires. Their lack of snow tires and, indeed, much in the way of winter driving experience at all. And all this snow and cold weather!! Ruth and I did have a nice lunch last week when she drove up but then it wasn't until today when I took the bus to Summerland (wussy I know) that we saw each other again and now it's back to work for me and back to Vancouver for them before flying home. sigh.

But it was great to see her, her parents, her husband and 2 lovely daughters. Their kids are incredible - both beautiful and clever. And if Holly had come with me I'm sure Kay and Stan would have felt like they were looking at Ruth and me 35 years ago.

It was only after I got on the bus home that I got a bit weepy. There was still so much catching up to do, we never even drank a bottle of wine! Next time guys - come in the summer!

4 comments:

Tara said...

How wonderful for you guys to have maintained a friendship for so long and over such distance - what a treasure! I'm glad you go to do at least a bit of catching up...

Tara said...

So, is that why you were not at M&M... counting... ???

Kelli said...

I thought librarians had super powers and no fears!
That's great you got to see your friend!

Dawn said...

A friendship like that is really something to celebrate... you guys have walked through so much "life" together! Very cool.

You really know your truest friends when you can just pick right up where you left off... even if it's been years!

p.s. Have I told you lately how sensational your new hair-do is??