Well first of all I love technology. My darling husband brought me home a card readers from work today (so handy to have connections in the computer business!) so I can now upload photos straight from my camera to my laptop! Love it love it love it... That's why the 2 pics I took at the cemetery yesterday are here already. BTW I'm not a religious person but I chose Mom's plot to be close to the statue of Jesus so it would always be easy to find again! And the flowers were still there...
But, back to technology. I hate it. This new automated system we've migrated to at work is a pain in the you know where. Some things are easy enough and others are just not working. Plus there's been some unexpected side effects - which are apparently coincidental - so we can't get into our online databases and the authentication software doesn't work so the public internet computers are down. Oh boy, how the word on the street gets around! The place is deserted. The folks who are usually running up the stairs when we open at 10:00 are nowhere to be found. It's been down since Saturday and I don't know when it'll be up again, I hope later this week.
And I had my shift on Askaway this morning. There's something wrong with the computer we use, so we have the problem of no databases compounding by an inability to get into any library catalogue using Horizon. Everytime we click on a link in a catalogue we get a page of gobbledy gook(sp?). It makes the old card catalogue look pretty good!
Tuesday, October 10, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I added askaway to my favourites and will check it out later. I'll try to come up with some good questions for you. LOL
Is your mom at the cemetary by the Kelowna golf course? If she is, she's probably spending the days with my grandma, she's up there enjoying the view of Kelowna.
The good, the bad and the ugly of technology!.... I too sometimes hate it and sometimes love it, but mostly it eats up my hours!
AskAway...hey, I do that too - but in the post-secondary sector...how do you find it....I find it rather SLOW and co-browse doesn't work that well....but I kind of like it, too....tootles.....mej
Post a Comment