I did go to the SPCA at lunch on Friday, visited the dogs. Buddy is cute but he's definitely a border collie through and through and he's also pretty young, and very focused. Obviously too much work for this family! Many other cute dogs, including Humie (pronounced 'who me') who is lovely but can climb 6 foot high chain link fences. Furry (formerly advertised as 'Fury') is a shepherd/lab cross who I've been kind of interested in for awhile and Friday I actually got to meet her briefly while she was on her way back to her kennel. Mike, the kennel guy, thought she might be a good match for us - she's a pretty low maintenance dog. So today I got Greg to go the SPCA with me and had another look at her. But you know, it was the same impression that I got the very first time I saw her: she just seems to be in her own little world. You call her name - she ignores you, she doesn't come over to the door when you approach (virtually all the other dogs do) and just seemed kind of zoned out. So I declined the invitation to visit in the quiet room with her. Maybe I'm foolish but I think there has to be a spark there right off the bat. So I'm okay with that. I will continue to look.
Stayed up till 1:00 last night reading Harry Potter! Very tired today but it was a great read. I can't say anything else obviously but I liked it a lot and didn't cry too too much. So then it was Holly's turn and I'm shocked that she's not that interested in reading it asap. We left her home today so she could read (she starts a 2-week day camp tomorrow) but she only made it through about 70 pages before moving on to something else. However I read a couple of chapters aloud to her just now and she enjoyed it so we may have to do it that way. That's all right, I kind of wanted to re-read it immediately anyway!
Sunday, July 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I agree with you about the spark... when it is right you will know.
The right dog is out there somewhere. So many people make rash decisions and then the poor pup ends up at the SPCA. Oh, what do I know, I follow my heart and then think later, hence the holes in my clothes, slobber on my arms and lack of sleep.
Just like with Ruby, you will know. Kurt and I have been doing some research of our own on a few dogs and doing the fostering rescuing thing. Nothing has come of it yet.
Everything happens for a reason. Whenit is dog time, we will all know! Good luck.
goodluck finding YOUR dog, he/she will come!
You're smart for waiting until the right fit in a dog comes along Fern! It's easy to get attached to a dog that needs a home and grab one just to "bust them out of the joint." Then you're stuck with a rocky relationship for the next twelve years. :0)
Good to catch up on what's happening!
I agree, you are smart for waiting. We always jump into things like that without using our noggins ;)
Post a Comment