Friday, April 25, 2008

What turned out to be a good week

I was heading off to bed quite awhile ago but instead what do I do? Change my blog a bit. And then I figured after all that I'd better do a post too...

I'd been fretting endlessly for the last week or more about a situation at work. A local group who rented the library a couple of months ago called & wanted to book it again for next year. I was really not comfortable making that decision and tried to pass the buck up to management but they passed it back down to me. We finally agreed to meet to discuss the last event. Then, as I kept stewing & losing sleep over this, I compiled (with help) a list of all the things that happened during the last event. These people came in, took over the building, brought in tables & chairs, caterers, floodlights, dance floor, etc etc (while we were open) and it was just an unpleasant experience for the staff. There was no way I wanted to put everybody through that again. Plus this group only gave us $1,000 which I thought was pretty paltry.

Anyway, turned out after I forwarded this list to management, that they knew nothing about it! EGTB had organized the whole thing & didn't tell them. Well... there has to be a contract, a 300% price increase, they have to pay the staff's wages to stay & move equipment etc., and they can't set up until after the library's closed. Thank God. I know it's impossible for this group to get ready between 5:30 and 8:00 so I think we're off the hook for 2009.

You know what else I learned this week... EGTB's parting internal voicemail message: "it's been a pleasure working with some of you"! Can you believe it? That woman sure knows how to burn bridges.

The other good things this week were the Ask a Genealogist Day last Saturday which was well-attended despite the snow. And on Wednesday night the BC Book Prizes Tour was in town. I had the pleasure of introducing the group and really enjoyed their readings - and of course had to buy all the books!

1 comment:

Kelli said...

I think we were at the library the day that set up happened. Good for you for checking into and bringing to higer up's attention!